Customizing Blogger/Blogspot - Introduction & Visualizing

Tonnes of blogs look the same. At time of writing, even this blog suffers from the "all-look-same" problem that comes with choosing from a small set of templates. I want to personalize the look of my blog and I'd love to take you along for the journey so you can do it too.

Recently, I've been experimenting with several different blog engines for my church's use. Along the way, I noticed that Blogger (or Blogspot), is now offering a very flexible way to customize said look & feel.

So from a visual perspective, here's what our blog looks like now (left) and my vision of how I want it to look like (right):


Therein lies the first step to customizing. Have a vision for how you would like your blog to look like. Design a layout you like respecting the fact that you still must have an area for blog posts and an area for widgets. Feel free to draw inspiration from other sites. Take a peek inside my thought process:
  • The blog area is way too narrow - I'd like to widen it. I don't want to use the full width of the page because I like the look of "side curtains". So maybe I could expand the content panel from 765 pixels to 1000 pixels and give most of that room to the blog posts.
  • My wife likes blue. A litte bit of a cold colour but tranquil. I think I will use different shades of blue for my site. And I'll use black for the side curtains - makes the page "pop" more.
  • I'd like to have a big banner photo at the top of the page. If only I had some photography skills like Lloyd at Night & Day or Laura Hana, I could take my own photo. Oooh! found a nice free stock photo at Stock Exchange. And it's mainly blue which goes well with my colour scheme.
  • Hmm, I think a 2 column layout like the way I have it now is ok. I still want all the posts to be on the left and all the widgets on the right.
  • Right, now let me mock this up on Corel Photo-Paint (or CorelDraw, or Adobe Illustrator, or Adobe Photoshop, or whatever design tools you prefer). I grew up on Photo-Paint so I'm sticking with what's familiar.
  • Oh yes, I'd like to get rid of that navigation bar/tool bar, if possible.
So go ahead and try it. If you like, post your designs somewhere (flickr, picasa, etc..) and share it with us.

No comments: