Hurt Feelings & Broken Hearts

People are feeling creatures. Feelings can drive one to do selfless acts and the same feelings could drive one to perform the most heinous crimes.

Once in a while, someone might hurt you emotionally. It happened to me. Hurt feelings will lead to sadness, grief, bitterness, resentment, anger, vengeance and a whole host of other emotions that could start you on a downward spiral. The problem is that the downward spiral of bad feelings just don't stop.

The cure is actually forgiveness. Learning to forgive solved all the issues of tumultuous emotions. Forgiving is not just about forgetting. It goes further than that. Forgiving is an active verb... something I have to do. Start by saying it out loud. "I forgive so-and-so" or "I don't have any ill feelings towards him/her regardless of what they've done to me". "Even if I remember what they've done, it doesn't bother me." Do whatever it takes to convince yourself. The acid test to forgiveness is being able to recount the events that hurt you without feeling hurt anymore.
Do you harbour resentment and bitterness towards someone? Isn't it time that you stopped allowing them to persist those negative feelings in you? Take back your life. Forgive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great information!
I found it to be very important to forgive for healing to begin. Having resentment or ill-feelings overtime will change you into someone you don't want to become, without you even realizing it.

Funny that forgiveness was the topic at church today which I also wrote about.

Anonymous said...

Forgiving your debtors is in effect, freeing yourself from that burden. Easier said than done but it's so important to try. Great post!