Your First Job

Going through high-school, I always admired those other kids that got part-time jobs. I never really had one during that era, though I did try a few times over the years. This became a source for discouragement for me. By the time I was in post secondary and really was thinking about the prospect of having to get a "real" job, it really scared the snot out of me. To add insult to injury, the fact that I had no work experience to put on my resume made me look like a loser on paper.

For those of you who in high-school or post-secondary and are contemplating getting a part-time job, I really commend you and encourage you to go for it. Doesn't matter if it's a paper route or flipping burgers or mopping floors. It will really help your confidence and your future prospects of starting your career. However, at this time, don't focus too much on your job. It's a stepping stone for the time being until you can build up enough education to get yourself a proper middle class job.

For those that can't seem to land that part-time job, don't fret. Look for opportunities to volunteer instead. Volunteering is a great way to build up your experience (which you can put on your resume) and also give back to your community. It's this community involvement part that's an extra icing on the resume cake.

Fortunately for me, co-op saved my bacon. So if you do find yourself in post-secondary in the same situation as I was, then do your best to get into co-op. Even if you did have a job in high school, it's still a good idea. There's no rush to finish school unless you are ready to take on the rest of your life. Landing a job is one of those important life skills.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I regret having a part time job through school. Well, working for parents doesn't look as good on a resume so I don't really count that. Although I did glean a lot of customer service experience from it. Definitely though, working part time has many benefits apart from making yourself some pocket money. :)